Annual Conference 2019
thE 50TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Date: 9-10 October 2019
venue: County Hall, Belvedere Road, London, SE1 7PB
To celebrate the International Institute of Communications' (IIC) 50th anniversary, the 2019 Annual Conference will return to its birthplace, London. The IIC has evolved from a broadcasting policy organisation founded in 1969 by ITN (UK), ABC (Australia), NHK (Japan) and CBC (Canada) in a world of spectrum scarcity, into truly global, professional association committed, long before it was a cliché, to the convergence of Technology, Media and Telecommunications - in a world of spectrum and streaming abundance.
The IIC has always been concerned with understanding the social, as well as the economic, impact of technological change as an essential precursor to good policy making. In this, we have not changed.
In the words of our President, Chris Chapman, 2019 can be viewed as a 'Tipping Year' - giving us the opportunity to draw experiences and lessons learned during the various stages of convergence since the IIC’s inception, and use them to help shape the policy and regulatory agenda in these times of exponential change:
Big questions will be debated:
- Telco / media / OTT / digital convergence - predicting the next wave of change and the implications for policy makers and society
- Global realities / regional and national choices - how do we exploit the exponential growth of the digital economy while incorporating the material societal, cultural and political externalities in all business and government models?
- In a post convergence world, seemingly permanently “in transition”, how do legislatures keep pace and break away from pre-convergence mindsets? Are regulators being supported to make evidence-informed, nuanced decisions based on discretion and the ability to forebear, and provide agile, adaptive frameworks?
Through a combination of keynotes, panel debates and focused breakout discussions, the IIC's 6 core themes will all be aired:
- Innovation and investment
- Content futures
- Competition policy
- Privacy, safety, security
As well as the Annual Conference there will be workshops, networking events and private meetings, enabling delegates to form or renew lasting relationships with their peers from around the world.
Top teams from regulators around the world will enjoy dinner together.
Delegates and speakers will have the opportunity to meet informally at the opening reception, ahead of the 50th Annual Conference.
House of Lords Reception
Delegates will have a chance to discuss the day's proceedings over drinks and canapés at the House of Lords.