monday 19 may 2014
Observations from the European Commission (video):
- Roberto Viola, Deputy Director General, DG Connect, European CommissionEROSERVATIONS FROM THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION (VIDEO):VATIONS FROM THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION
Session 1: Developing a digital society for all:
- Who is the digital consumer?
- What role can the regulator play in the development and encouragement of national broadband plans/targets? What is the regulatory role of the state in the digital world?
- Is there a role for universal service funds?
- Is digital inclusion a right and how can the regulator limit the impact of a digital divide?
- Is content regulation still needed - why and is it feasible?
In the Chair
- Mindel de la Torre, Chief, International Bureau, FCC, USA
- Hopeton Dunn, Chairman, Broadcasting Commission of Jamaica
- Beatriz Quiñones Cely, Member, Autoridad Nacional De Televisión –ANTV, Colombia
- Eduardo Neri González Martinez, President, Comisión de Nacional de Telecomunicaciones (CONATEL), Paraguay
- Adriana Lambardini Inzunza, Commissioner, IFT - Federal Institute of Communications, Mexico
Session 2: Spectrum
- How does the need for spectrum affect the regulator's role?What are the issues of boundary interference and how can/should they be addressed?
- What is the impact of the digital dividend on digital broadcasting and can sufficiently robust measures be out in place?
In the Chair
- Ola Bergstrom, Swedish Post and Telecom Authority (PTS)
- Kathleen Riviere-Smith, Chief Executive Officer, Utilities Regulation & Competition Authority, Bahamas
- Daniel Larrache, National Director of Management and Administration Development, Audiovisual Services, Autoridad Federal de Servicios de Comunicación Audiovisual (AFSCA), Argentina
- Gilbert Camacho, Board Member, Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (SUTEL), Costa Rica
- Leonardo Euler de Morais, Head Technical Advisor to the Board, Anatel, Brazil
Session 3: convergence and the issue it raises
- How has convergence affected traditional forms of communication – where does broadcasting (television and radio) sit? Fixed line telephony? Do they need to be safeguarded?
- Differential regulations for different platforms and services – what does convergence mean at a practical level?
- Where do ownership issues fit in - especially cross border/foreign ownership issues?
- What are the key challenges: OTT players, apps, net neutrality, interconnection charging.
In the Chair
- Fabio Colasanti, President, International Institute of Communications; formerly DG, DG InfoSoc; European Commission
- Cris Seecheran, CEO, TATT, Trinidad and Tobago
- Maria Dolores Souza, CNTV, Chile
- Giuliano De Vita, senior advisor to Commissioner Martusciello, AGCOM, Italy
- Dr Carlos Pablo Márquez Escobar, Executive Director, Commission for Communications Regulation, Colombia